Sunday, May 2, 2010

A blog eh?

How very 21st century of me. Whatever will be next? Broadband? A phone that takes photos? A car with electric windows? A sewing machine that does zig-zag? Going more than 2 days without wine?

I suppose by going to Chef School at age 49 I ought to have something to write about, and I have been Twittering it (or should that be Tweeting?) http://twitter.com/OKBayBach but hey, sometimes a good story needs more than 140 characters to tell. Of course finding time for any stories at all is the issue. Being a full time paper-shuffler, part time potato peeler and sometime grower/gatherer doesn't leave much slack in schedule.

This blog idea is due to illness. Yes, she of the cast-iron-constitution who never gets sick (being the only person to scum it for 2 months in India on $7 a day, not get Delhi Belly and in fact put on weight) has had a filthy cold for 2 weeks. Come Friday and I realised if I didn't pull my head in and take it easy this weekend I might get really sick and I can't afford that.

Consequently out came THE LIST and off it I crossed everything that wasn't absolutely essential. No housework, no gardening, no preserving, no experimental recipes, no concocting homemade cleaning compounds, no boozing on the OK Bay Bach deck until all hours, no shopping for winter clothes, no bread making, house repairs or ukelele practice. Only washing, ironing, Chef School homework, a week's worth of dishes, food preparation for the next 4 days and phone calls to Mother and Father. As a result I found myself with an afternoon to spare, so why not start a blog?

Of course it took me way longer than the recommended "5 minutes" to figure it out and set it up (try an hour) so now I'm running into overtime without having actually said anything interesting. More to come, I hope.